Sunday, April 11, 2010

Jill: in search of snuggles and delicious food


Even though Jill had been getting over the kitty cold she left the shelter with, Jill was being very stubborn about drinking and eating. I started to grow increasingly concerned that Jill wasn't eating enough - or some days anything - other than what she was force-fed. Jill lost some weight. After visit 4 to the vets, we were about to put Jill on some other medications to address nausea and to increase her appetite...when all of a sudden Jill decided she'd like her dinner, please!

I literally jumped up! Ready to serve! And brought Jill a heaping bowl of dry kibble. And miracle of miracles Jill dug right in. Jill is still not eating a huge amount, and she has a lot of weight to gain back (I believe 2 pounds)...but we are no longer so worried about her. I'm not just steadily working with her to gain the weight back.

I'm still at a loss as to why Jill chose that exact moment to start eating. I guess in part she must have been feeling good enough to eat. But I also think that it had something to do with Jill beginning to feel more at home in her foster home. I wonder what happened to petite Jill prior to living with her foster family...there are moments looking back when she probably was so quiet because she was a little overwhelmed.

Happily I can report that Jill is blossoming. She's shared a new little meow with me. It's half purr half meow. She's not a very talkative cat, so when she talks it usually means something like "I'm happy to see you" or "make way, I'm going to get in on this napping action!" If I kiss the top of Jill's head, she's start purring immediately. My friend came over to visit Jill and remarked on how neat it is to have a cat that will just lay there, still, content, while you pet her, for as long as you like. Jill is not one to end a petting/snuggle session. They're too delicious....and this cat needs love.

No comments:

Post a Comment